Wednesday, May 14, 2008

June Cleaver Called; She Wants Her Dinner Back

Yes, that's right, I made meatloaf. My husband was raised on the stuff, and, well, I wanted to impress him. I got the slightly updated recipe from Food Network star, Bobby Flay. I made it my way of course, mostly because I didn't have all the ingredients it called for. It was a success and my husband still loves me.


Here's the exact recipe I used tonight. It made enough to feed 3-4. (leftover loaf, here we come!)

Balsamic Glazed Meatloaf

1 Tbsp olive oil
¼ medium onion, finely diced
1 celery rib, finely diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
1 egg
1 Tbsp parsley
1 tsp thyme or savory
1 lb ground beef
½ cup plain bread crumbs
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup ketchup, divided
¼ cup balsamic vinegar, divided

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Heat oil in a small skillet over med-heat. Add onion, celery, and salt and pepper; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and cool.

In large bowl, beat egg with parsley and savory, and more salt and pepper to taste. Add beef, bread crumbs, cheese, ¼ cup ketchup, 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar, and vegetable mixture. Gently mix with hands until combined. Form into loaf shape and place on baking dish. In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup ketchup and remaining balsamic vinegar. Brush glaze over loaf. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.

No comments: