Sunday, May 18, 2008

Eat Your Heart Out, Cafe Rio


Last Sunday I made slow-cooked sweet pork that my husband said was even better than Cafe Rio's. I got the basic idea from my mother-in-law, but put my personal Veda twist on it. It also fed us for 3 whole meals, which we didn't mind in the least.

medium sized pork roast
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1 onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup vinegar (I used regular distilled, cuz it's all I had, but cider vinegar would work well)

Sauce:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup vinegar (cider or plain distilled)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard (or 1 Tbsp dry mustard)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp chili powder

Place onions in bottom of slow cooker. Season pork with salt, pepper, and garlic and place on top of onions. Add vinegar. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-6 hours. Shred pork, mix sauce ingredients together and add to cooker. Cook on low for another 2-3 hours. Serve in tortillas with rice and black beans. Cover with enchilada sauce (I recommend my homemade sauce found here) and cheese and microwave for 30 seconds. Serve with sour cream and lettuce.

No comments: