Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fun with Thai

I ventured out of my cooking comfort zone today and made a Thai inspired noodle dish. My last few attempts at Asian cooking have gone sour, but I'm pleased to report that with this dish, I have got my Asian mojo back! It's good; so try it!

cooking oil
stir-fry vegetables (fresh or frozen. I used fresh onion and fresh celery and about a cup of a frozen blend with green beans, mushrooms, and broccoli. Use whatever you like and have on hand.)
4-6 oz. thin spaghetti noodles
1 breast of chicken

sauce:*
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp peanut butter
1 1/2 tsp corn starch (this could have been a mistake?)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp red pepper flake
1 large clove garlic

*please note that these and all of my measurements for that matter are estimates, as I do not use measuring cups or spoons while cooking

For sauce, whisk all ingredients together and set aside.

Cook noodles according to direction on package.

Place chicken in plastic bag and pound until about 1/4 inch thick (I use my rolling-pin for this, but you could use the smooth side of a meat mallet). Slice chicken into strips and set aside.

Heat 1-2 Tbsp oil in wok or skillet on medium-high. Add vegetables and stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside.

Add 1 more Tbsp of oil to pan and cook chicken until slightly browned.

Add vegetables, noodles, and sauce to pan. Stir to combine.

Enjoy.

No comments: